Keep scrolling down and looking at previous pages - we've added a lot!

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Hole in the Rock and Capitol Reef

To celebrate his graduation, Tyson wanted to do something outdoors, so we ended up going down to the Capitol Reef National Park area in southern Utah. It's around the Grand Staircase/Escalante National Park. We went with Tyson's sister Nikki and her family - it was So fun to get out of town again and just be outside in the beautiful weather!! We left Friday afternoon after graduation and stayed in a hotel in Torrey, UT. The next day went to Hole in the Rock - a crazy steep drop-off that the Mormon Pioneers lowered their wagons into to cross over into a valley - wich is now Lake Powell. Then we hiked through some slot canyons - sorry you had to sit in the truck the whole time Nikki - she's having a baby in June and there was NO way her cute belly would have fit through those things - I'm surprised I fit in some of it!! I was also kindly reminded that I really don't have as much energy as I did before now that I'm pregnant! Hey at least I have an excuse for feeling so out of shape:) The next day we drove through some awesome canyons in Capitol Reef and did a little hiking. I have to say - bumpy roads (or trails I guess) do not mix well with being pregnant!!! Sorry for all the pictures;)


Hole in the Rock
Brien, Ethan and Alex


Tyson tried and tried to catch one of these little buggers - they are SO fast!!


Hole in the Rock view of Lake Powell



I think Alex had a little too much fun:)

Hike to the slot canyons - we had to walk through a wash to get there and Tyson is showing how high the water had gotten - good thing it wasn't raining when we were there!
Entrance to the slot canyons
I can't even tell you how excited these two were for this hike! Ethan liked to call it the squishy canyons:)

This was by the first Very tight spot - it really made all of us think - am I????
So fun, but crazy - tight squeezes, interesting climbs, droppoffs and sand - Everywhere!
Tyson thought this cactus flower was so cool - it was only a little bigger than a quarter

How long to you think those pants will stay clean??

This little stream was coming right out of the hill!!
Alex and Ethan - just a little entertainment for our lunch break!
Yeah - good thing they had some extra clothes to change into:)

just a little nap
I think Alex got a little tired on this 2 mile hike - he practically ran the whole first mile!!!





2 comments:

Nancy said...

Dad would LOVE this place!!!! This has to be part of our future plans!
Tyson is alot like Dad...doing things like this.

Tiffany said...

How fun! I love Capitol Reef. My grandparents are from Wayne county so we have family reunions down there a lot. It looks like you guys had a blast :)

"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams" ~Dr. Seuss