Keep scrolling down and looking at previous pages - we've added a lot!

Monday, September 8, 2008

Ultrasound update - What next!!

I just thought I'd give another update on how things are going with this interesting pregnancy - since I feel like I'm living at the Dr's office. So far, I've had 4 non stress tests (NST's) this past week to monitor the baby's heartbeat as it moves to see how well it handles stress - the baby passed with flying colors each time, but my Dr. wants to make sure the baby's environment continues to be safe with the low fluid, so she is going to make me do these twice a week.
I had my fourth one today, which was fine, then she did another ultrasound to check the fluid level - it dropped back down inbetween a 6 and 7! (They say 10-25 or something like that is normal). She said me drinking tons of water now won't do as much as it did before since it's normal for the fluid to decrease from here on and you can't really make more this late in the game. SO, Dr. Fillerup, being the super cautious Dr. that she is, started talking about how she's not sure that I'll be able to make it to 37 weeks (full term) because she doesn't know if the fluid will last. WHAT??!! AND since the baby is still breach (head up) and the ever decreasing fluid level, we'll probably have to do a c-section because she doesn't know how well the baby will take the labor :(
OK, now I was freaked out and of course started crying - she has a tendency to make me to that lately. She still said she was just letting me know that she was still being cautious and letting me know what she was thinking. She also said that since I'm 32 weeks now, she would suggest that I get a steroid shot twice this week to help the baby's lungs develop sooner just in case we have to go early (I guess you have to do it before you're 34 weeks or it won't help). OK - freaked out more!! (sorry by the way if I'm not explaining this very well, you can call me for a better version of the story since I feel like I'm rambling here). Anyway, we had a long discussion on the benefits and risks of the shot, which made me feel a ton better and more willing to get it if she said I needed it. She said after 14 years of doing her job, she has not seen any bad things happen because of it - she said she's actually noticed that it ends up being better for the baby's health in the long run. Basically, she's doing everything she can to keep the baby out of intensive care if it comes early. She said her goal is for the baby to come home with me - which I agree with! Anyway, I called Tyson and we talked about it and both felt pretty good about getting it and I actually think I'd feel guilty not getting it. So I went back to the clinic and got a really Painful shot in my bottom - and I have to get another one in the morning - now I know why kids cry when they get their shots - ouch!!
So, we're praying that this helps - we're willing to do whatever it takes for her to come healthy. Some really random news is that girl babies usually handle situations like this better than boys - who knew? I guess we're lucky it's a girl! I actually feel better now too that I ran into a random lady in Target's baby section that said she got the shot with all 5 of her kids because they came early and they're all healthy - she said the shot saved their lives and her girls always did better than her boys. That was so good to hear - it's amazing how I felt more comforted by having talked to a totally random stranger.
So, the plan as of now is one more shot tomorrow and NST's twice a week with ultrasounds. Then probably go early (hopefully not before 37 weeks) with a c-section - fun huh? I'm so thankful that we're double covered with our insurance!! I'm also so thankful for our Dr. and how she's watching out for us - I guess I'd rather her be as honest as possible. Also, I'm thankful for our loving Heavenly Father helping comfort us and keeping our baby so safe.

8 comments:

Amy said...

Alycia- the girls do better because their lungs develop quicker than boys. Everything will be great. We will keep you in our prayers. At least you are 32 weeks instead of 24 (a lady in our ward had a baby at 24 weeks- she actually seems to be doing okay) So everything will be okay- I am sure of it!

The Hiller Family said...

Hey, at least with a c-section you don't have any stitches "down there"! That was a killer! Maybe you'll be done before Theresa too! He he he... you get Mom first!

The Hiller Family said...

and for Pete's sake... why don't you have more ultrsounds posted if you go in so often! Gosh!
Dear Dr. Fillerup,
Please give these parents the pictures of their baby! They don't belong to you!!
Sincerely,
Wanna see'em

Sally said...

Wow. That's a lot of scares for a mom, especially a first-time mom. You are in our prayers. If you go on Sep 26th our babies can be matchy-matchy, and have joint birthday parties and stuff! Good luck with you and the babe getting buff with those shots...

Alycia said...

yeah she's not getting glamor shots with the ultrasound pictures - she's only printing out what she measures for the fluid - she's funny she said to me, I hope your next baby does better with this because we just can't seem to get a good face shot of this one! So Heidi, unless you want to see shots of little pockets of fliud...
And Sally - sheesh! I hope I don't go on Sept 26th!! Maybe October 26th!!

D/E G said...

Alycia, I had to get that painful butt shot with the twins too. At 36 weeks, they were fine and had no moments in the NICU, but anything from now on should be fine... Also, now that I've had three C-sections, I'll tell you that they're do-able. I hate that it often takes away some of your choices, but it's worth it b/c it means your beautiful girl will be safe! :)

Katie said...

I hope everything goes well with your delivery...I'll keep you in my prayers too. I had my second baby at 36 weeks without any steroid injections and he did just fine...they gave him a little extra oxygen after the delivery, but that was it. Sounds like you have a good doctor helping make sure everything goes right, so I'm sure it will.

Garden Girl said...

Oh Alycia! Praying for you and little girl Nelson! Hang in there...

"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams" ~Dr. Seuss